Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Concerns about bicyclers and pedestrians and automobiles

An article in a Michigan online media website was brought to my attention and I have a few things to say about that.  The article "A reminder to cyclists to share the road, trails" discussed concerns about etiquette and sense of bicyclists and their use of trails and roads. While I share the concern of the author that cyclists should be following the rules of the road and good etiquette, I also agree that pedestrians can participate in making the biking/walking experience safe. Walking on a public trail also has requirements. I know first hand that it can be difficult to get the attention of pedestrians if they are aloof to their surroundings. Wearing Mp3 players and headphones on trails can be inherently dangerous. How can pedestrians share the trails with others if they have their surrounding conditions drowned out by headphones? I like to listen to music when I ride the bike, but I make sure I have it at a level that allows me to hear the birds chirping and the sound of the aggregate under my tires. That way I know I will hear people and vehicles around my area. I read the comments that were made after the article. Try to keep in mind the issue is not between you and others but between you and god. Try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt regardless of what you have experienced in the past. Don't give up good etiquette just because a few ftards have totally violated your trust on the trails or the roads.  I will try to do the same!

3 comments:

  1. I like where that one guy commented on how joggers will run 3 abreast across the entire trail and will not move over for a bicycler. that seems very rude because the biker has just as much a right to ride the trail as these joggers do. we must all be courteous to each other, bikers, joggers and walkers [some even walk with dogs]

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tutorial is very helpful for a first timer like me, by the way if you could have given a tutorial on creating a free website, it would have been very helpful for newbies like me.
    Thank you
    car wrecker Adelaide
    car recycling Adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.
    cash for cars brisbane
    cash for cars Ipswich

    ReplyDelete